8.03.2010

Sleepless Nights

Very stealth and sneaky like it crept up to me while I was in bed last Tuesday night while Mj was out of town.  It had not come to visit since January and I can't say that I missed it's nagging presence.  Just a few days before I chatted with co workers that I had finally gotten rid of it back in March after 10 long months and that I was glad that it no longer came around to bother me anymore.  Just when I had finally believed that it was truly gone for good.  What is this unwelcome guest that I speak of?  It's INSOMNIA.  And I'm afraid it's back with a vengeance.

Last week it struck at the worst time ever.  I was smack dab in the middle of a week with long days where I wouldn't get home until late evening after working all day.  I had to work that promo event Thursday night.  I really needed my energy and my sleep but it was not to be.  Friday night was was OK.  As per usual I can usually get to sleep on weekend nights when I can stay up late and sleep in.  It's work nights that get me in trouble.  Sunday night was fine at first.  Mj and I had dinner at a couple's house where cocktails and port wine were happily consumed.  Still slightly buzzed off of that I slipped into an easy sleep but after waking up to use the restroom it was all downhill from there.  When my alarm went off there was no waking up involved.  I just reached over and shut the darn thing off so I could lay there some more.

Last night was no better and I am now debating if I should start taking the pills again.  Every month I was at the pharmacy getting refills and took them faithfully every work night for almost 6 months until Mj strongly urged me to quit hid them from me in March.  I was pleasantly surprised that somehow I could sleep again without a pill just like anyone else and have been doing fine since then.  Until now.  I might start taking them every other night just to get some relief depending on if this sleepless pattern continues.  I don't want to be a Restoril junkie again but I will if I have to.  I'm certainly not going to drink myself to sleep every night!

Once again there is no rhyme or reason as to why.  Mj falls asleep when his head hits the pillow most times.  I will probably never be like that but when the insomnia monster hasn't got me I can usually lay down and fall asleep within a reasonable amount of time.  I don't need to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow but I would like to sleep.  Let's see how tonight goes.

7 comments :

Tova said...

when I can't sleep I take melatonin- it works really well for my insomnia. Also Jim Dale reading Harry Potter- his British voice is so soothing- it puts me to sleep lots of nights when stress would otherwise keep me awake! I just check out the books on tape from the library and pop them on I tunes!

Steph said...

Oh boy! That stinks. Sometimes I take Tylenol PM but then I wake up so tired.

Faith said...

aww, that sucks! i can't imagine not being able to fall asleep. i love me a good nights rest. i hope that tonight is better.

happynappybride said...

I grapple with insomnia sometimes as well, there's nothing worse than being tired and not able to fall asleep.

Ameena said...

I can imagine how frustrating that is. My solution? Have kids. Then you'll be able to sleep at the drop of a hat because otherwise you won't sleep at all!

Seriously though, I hope you get some good sleep tonight and I'm sorry you are plagued with insomnia!

Frugalista said...

Thanks guys!! I'm about to hit the sack. Let's hope I get some much needed sleep!!!

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

Ugghh, I hear you loud and clear girl. I've dealt with the same issue for years and it's gotten progressively worse since I've started my "grown up" job back in 2007. Hopefully this is just a phase and you'll be back to getting LOTS of zzz's in no time : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...