2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for coating
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound small white potatoes, halved
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can tomato paste
1 cup red wine
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Cut up potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions and place it in a large bowl.
- Season the meat with salt, pepper and paprika. Put flour in a bowl or plate and dredge the meat in it until all pieces are covered.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and brown meat on all sides.
- Remove browned meat from the pan and put it in a large dish with the vegetables.
- Add can of tomato paste to the pan and cook until it turns bright red.
- Add cup of red wine and mix it in with the tomato paste until it starts to boil a little bit.
- Add two cups of beef broth.
- Add 1/3 cup of flour and whisk it together until it thickens up and then season with salt and pepper and add the sprigs of thyme.
- Add the gravy to vegetables and meat.
- Cook in crock pot for 8 hours on low.
Adapted from recipe found here.