9.17.2009

I'm Not the Career Type


Photo Credit:  Jupiter Images
Monster offers a resume writing service. You can submit your resume to them and they will magically transform any irrelevant or non essential job skills and work history into something that employers will be interested in hiring you for. Well, at least that is what they would have to do with mine. MJ thinks it could be a good tool for updating his own resume and decided to throw my name in the hat for a resume make over as well.  My response. "Now why would someone like me hire a professional to work on my resume?" As far as I'm concerned my value in the job market is on the low end and no amount of resume doctoring is going to change that. I am not up and coming young professional with a bright career in [insert high power job title here]. At this point in my life aside from some unforeseen or catastrophic circumstances I really have no intention of even looking for another job. Getting the one I have wore me down enough.  "Well, resume writing service is an investment. You never know what might come up and it doesn't hurt to browse." Maybe for him.

The thing is, I have never had much luck when it comes to jobs. Perhaps I sell myself short. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, looked in the right places or marketed myself well enough. I am just not that person who managed to snag that great job or passes their resume to a friend who knows someone at such and such company. I never knew what I wanted to be and I still don't. I majored in Sociology and all I knew was that I didn't want to be a teacher. My first job out of College was a Claims Adjuster.   Oh, how I despised that job. I wasted years in an industry that I no longer wanted to be in and without any other job skills I knew I was headed for a major salary cut.

Federal jobs have good benefits and the pay was better then what I was finding in the private sector so I relentlessly scoured website after website and applied for job after job. Their application processes is detailed, cumbersome and time consuming but I kept at it hopeful that if I was persistent enough something would come my way.  Over a year of that and I never even got an interview. Ever.  Thank goodness I finally got a break and got hired where I'm at. After about 6 months I continued to apply for Federal jobs and other state jobs that paid at least what I was getting until I finally gave up for good. Half the time I think they post those positions just to say that they did it because the person who gets the job is usually sitting in the office across the hall or someone who knows someone that's doing the hiring. Luckily, I got a transfer out of the office that originally hired me which was NOT a good fit for me and I am happy where I'm at. More money would be nice but you can't always have it all.

I still don't know what I want to do so getting a Master's seems pointless. I have settled in where I'm at. Right now, it's enough just for me to have a secure job with great benefits that doesn't make me want to jump off of a cliff at the end of the day.

In my shock of learning that a resume expert was going to be writing my resume I forgot to thank MJ for being thoughtful enough to even do that for me in the first place. I may have given up on the notion of ever making more money or having a "hot" job but he hasn't and I think that is so sweet.  New job opportunities just seem to fall in his lap and he is well qualified so he kinda has an entirely different outlook on the whole job and career thing then I do. I am so glad that MJ saw other qualities in me that made him want me. The employment gods may not shine upon me but the love gods did when they sent me him.

It's funny how I have this child like anything is possible mentality when it comes to modeling or winning that dream vacation but not when it comes to my career prospects. Without direction or a passion for something practical I am lost. Not everyone is meant to have a career and I may never make a living by following my bliss. So, instead I will keep content with doing what I love which is writing what I want and modeling when I can. Instead of wracking my brain trying to figure out what I want to be, I finally just decided to be who I am.

2 comments :

mr. nichols said...

Trust me when I say you are not alone. I guess we're just in that time right now. The resume doctoring might be a good idea. I've never done it, but I would imagine they just cut down the unnecessary words and try to highlight the elements that a recruiter would be looking for: administrative skills, customer service, technical experience, I'm guessing would be the three big ones. Have you considered combing your passion for writing and modeling/fashion? Maybe there's a magazine in your area that you can see about doing work for. Just a thought. Indeed, it is good to have somebody to want you for you and not what you do.

Adrienne said...

I love the last part!

I feel ya, I am still trying to figure out what on earth I want to do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...