10.06.2010

I Got The Job

After spending eight years of my life that I can never get back working in a job that literally made me ill I place an incredibly high value on liking my job.  Way higher then I value what I get paid.  Three years ago I took a pay cut so big it used to make my heart sink just to think about it so I could get the hell out of claims. I'd do it all over in a heart beat if given the choice again.  I struggled financially and had to start all over, but mentally I was so much better off and that is what ultimately helped me climb my way out of a depression that I truly believe was triggered by that horrible job.

Those days are over.  I love the position that I am in right now.  I get to work with teachers and students.  I feel useful and valuable.  It's not prestigious.  I am just an office assistant but I like feeling like my job matters and I like the people I work with.  So terrified am I of hating my job that I've not really want to apply for others but I need to move up and I need to make more money along the way if I can.  Not just for myself but for Mj as well.  Unless I have a tangible reason to believe I will hate a job I can't NOT apply just because of some irrational fear that I might.  Two weeks ago I interviewed for a promotional position where I work.  I am not that girl that gets the job.  They don't fall into my lap like they do some people.  I pretty much never think I'm going to be the one who gets it.  I just knew I wasn't going to get this job so I was literally in shock when I got the call.  It was offered to me despite some stiff competition.  It feels so good to know that despite my often low opinion of myself and my abilities it was determined by the hiring board that I was the best person for the job.

This is bittersweet.  My supervisor said, "I'm excited for you but I don't know what we are going to do without you."  I feel exactly the same way.  Being the Tech Prep assistant has been great and I am sad to move on but excited for the new opportunity.

I have excelled in any job I have ever taken and anyone I've ever worked for has told me so.  I am organized, a hard worker and I want to do a good job.  I don't know how to do otherwise.  I know this, but even still I am my own worst critic.  I am always been so down on myself for what I have often perceived as my overall failure in the job market.  That voice that tells me I'm not good enough.  You don't make enough money and you don't even have a "real" career-whatever that is.  At the moment those voices are silenced.  I am just happy about this and was so excited to share the news with Mj and my mom.  They always believe in me even when I don't.
 
I have stared rejection in the face over and over again in modeling and the countless jobs I've applied for in the past and it's nice that this time around I don't have to. 

16 comments :

Lil' Woman said...

Congrats girl, that is awesome!! :)

Dancy said...

CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting!

Mrs. S said...

congrats lady!

Steph said...

Congrats! That's wonderful news.

Natalie said...

Congrats!

It is hard to ignore that voice (we all have it!) but you have to believe in yourself because if you don't no one will :)

Faith said...

that is great news! congrats girly! how awesome is it to know that you have what it takes. if other people believe it you sure as hell should! congrats again! :)

Amy said...

Congrats on the new job, you definitely deserve it!

Frugalista said...

Thanks guys! I'm super excited. And I know...I really should have more faith in myself for once!!

aapuzzanchera said...

Congratulations!!

Tova said...

Congratulations! In this economy with so much competition, you know that if you get a job, you really really deserve it!

Random Musings Of My Life said...

yay!! You go girl. And always trust your gut! I ended up in the hospital because of a job I hated. I think its a stepping stone though and I am SO GLAD you went through it! It will all become a little clearer in a few days!

Random Musings Of My Life said...

I meant years...

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

YAY FOR YOU! That is great news! So glad you followed your heart and did what you wanted to do!

happynappybride said...

Congratulations!

Adorably Distracted... said...

ahhhh that's awesome!!! I'm so happy for you!

Brown Girl said...

That's awesome! I'm happy for you, I know what it's like as well to work a job you hate! I'm excited about my career change soon but nervous as well. Nothing worth having is worth it if it doesn't take a little work and get you out of your comfort zone!

Congrats again! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...