No Monday, No TGIF, No Problem


Day trip (with husband) train ride to Esslingen
My husband had to work in between the traveling to other countries, and the exploring we did together in Germany.  During the weekdays I was left to my own devices.  Before I got there, he would ask, "Well, what are you going to do all day?"  I assured him, that filling my days would not be a problem.


I rolled out of bed whenever I wanted to, ate breakfast, then spent the day doing whatever the hell I wanted.  Unless there was laundry to do, which is no big deal when it's your only chore. There was no Monday, there was no TGIF, there was just one wonderful day blended into the next filled with whatever I saw fit to do on that particular day.  Most days included a walk down the street to the grocery store to pick up wine...and other things.  My husband tried to teach me the ways of public transportation, and I learned a little bit, but I wasn't ready to do it on my own.  I think if I were going to be there longer I would have, but considering the trolley schedule at home (where people speak English) can be a challenge, it wasn't gonna happen.  I was too scared, so each day I'd choose a destination within walking distance.  In this way I was getting my exercise in, cause you know doing a HIIT workout was not my priority.  I also got to explore the city, and practice my navigation skills which in general are pretty terrible.
On my husband's recommendation I walked to this beautiful Cathedral Evangelische Johannesgemeide one day.  I got closer and walked really slow around the entire building taking in every single detail.  This Gothic architecture never ceases to amaze me. 
Spielplatz Unterer Schlossgarten
On another day I hit 16k steps for the day walking to Spielplatz Unterer Schlossgarten.  This park is huge.  It just goes on and on.  The trees are tall and so thick they block out the sun.  Biergarten Schlossgarten is at the very edge, and towards the center of the park are benches to sit, barbecue pits, and a playground for the kids. 

Weissenbenburg Park, was also pretty great.  I enjoyed the walk through through a part of the city I hadn't seen before.  The lookout point with city views was spectacular, and there are many paths to explore.  It also has small restaurant called Teehaus.



I however, was most intrigued by this other area that veered off in a different direction.  I still don't know what it actually was.  It was paved, but it was so dark and so quiet all I could hear was birds, the sound of trees, shifting in the wind, and the sound of my own footsteps.  There is no signage to indicate where it led or even if I was supposed to be there.  The whole area had this forbidden private property NO TRESPASSING allowed look to it.  I walked down a dark path lined with trees leading to a steep set of stairs so overgrown with shrubbery that from a distance I wasn't even sure I could get through it.  I stood at the bottom of the stairs contemplating, and listening for signs of life.  I decided to turn back, but went back the very next day, because I really wanted to see what was up there.

Down the dark path, and up the stone stairs.  The overgrown trees on either side brushed my shoulders, and when I got to the top there was another set of stairs.  At the top I could go left, or right, but I went straight ahead into the trees.  I walked down a dirt path that went who knows how far to who knows where surrounded by trees as far as I could see in every direction.  It was awesome! I probably would have gone further had I not been alone, but the deeper I went the scarier it got.  It was hot, and as it was it would take me a little over an hour to walk back.

Park Karlshohe


Biergarten auf der Park Karlshohe
Park Karlshohe was my favorite.  It was super close, so it was this amazing hidden gem right in our backyard. We went there together my first day in Stuttgart and I went back multiple times on my own just to walk the paths, sweat it out on the the stairs or to enjoy wine at Biergarten auf der Park Karlshohe.  Every time I went I'd go a different way, and keep walking until I found my way out. 


I am so impressed with Stuttgart's green spaces.  They are large, green, gorgeous, and unassuming.  Every single one I went to had a restaurant or a Biergarten.  A few steps gets you from city streets to lush forest.  There might be a small sign on the sidewalk announcing a Biergarten, but when you step inside it's so much more, and so much bigger than you think it will be.  You can easily get lost, however I found that getting lost was welcome.  I had all the time in the world.  It just added to the adventure.

I found every place I set out to find, and by the time my husband came home from work I was either on my laptop or catching up on TV shows.
Stuttgart, Germany
Have you ever had a time in your life that was so good it nearly ruined you?  So enriched with wonder, laughter, and good times that anything else feels like an insult.  Anything less is a deflated balloon hanging low and unsteady above the ground.  Well, I am that saggy balloon and sometimes it feels like there isn't enough helium in the world to get me flying again.  That about sums up my feelings since I've been home, because those six weeks spent abroad was the best time of my life.

I left my heart in Stuttgart, and it's gonna be a little while before I get it back.

3 comments

  1. Wow. I love Europe, it's so OLD and AMAZING! You are seriously living the dream. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing your awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The path you walked on is so beautiful!! It can be so scary!! But just like you, I am curious lol. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful place! I love that you take all of the little details in slowly and truly learn to appreciate things like the architecture. What I would give for snacks and wine with that view! I've never been to Germany but I sure would love to.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.