When You Spend Your Birthday Alone

Birthday Spoils

 I'm an April Fool's baby, and this year I spent my birthday alone. When I say alone, I do mean alone, as in the only person I spoke to in person was the barista at Starbucks and she really wasn't all that friendly. You got your free coffee now go away.  She didn't actually say it, but that was the general impression. Good thing I don't rely on strangers for my sense of self worth.


Last year my birthday couldn't be any more different. I traveled to Las Vegas to be with my parents where I spent the day before my birthday shopping, lunching, and getting a facial.  The first sister shocked me by showing up randomly after dinner that night. Then the next one strolled in all casual like a few hours later.  These sisters live out of state, and nobody told me they were coming! I was so surprised. Then the next day on my birthday my husband who lives in Germany showed up while we were out to dinner, and I pretty much lost it. I cried so many happy tears that night. We spent the evening at a Cirque Du Soleil show on the strip. I don't know if I could ever have a birthday that special as long as I live. I mean, what could really top that?

Well. Nothing. I think in general, there is nowhere to go but down after that!

This year was 100% different than the kind of birthday I had last year, but I was okay with it, because my week and my heart was so full. I had a fantastic spring break with MJ. We spent the week doing fun things, and celebrated my birthday on his last night home. I only needed on more day! Sure, it was a bummer that he had to leave the day before my birthday, but when you see your husband as little as I do you learn to be so incredibly grateful for whatever time you get.

I exercised.  I meal prepped. I spent the majority of the day editing my novel with my Pandora thumbprint station blasting. It was just like any other Sunday except it wasn't. I saved the gifts that came in the mail, so I had those to look forward to. When I opened them, there were more happy tears. I can't help it. That's what I do. I finally have something from Anthropology (that pretty mug), and I see a shopping trip at Madewell in the very near future. I received so sweet messages and phone calls throughout the day from friends and family. People who actually remembered, because I took the big Birthday announcement off Facebook years ago. My friends treated me to dinner the week after.

I've never insisted on making a spectacle of my birthday, but I'm pretty sure it would have bothered me in my twenties to spend it alone. I probably would have called myself a loser. These days, it's not that serious. I'm mostly happy on my birthday as long as I'm not at work. I spent the day with myself, and you know what? It was fine. I'm an introvert. I can handle it. I enjoyed my free birthday coffee, and I got to spend the day working on something I'm passionate about.

When you spend your birthday alone it really frees your mind to think about all the things, and that's not a bad thing as long as you keep it positive. My mind is very capable of going to some pretty dark places, but I didn't need to go there. Not even close.

I spent my birthday alone, but not lonely, and next year I have nowhere to go but up.

6 comments

  1. Yes! There really is a difference between being alone and lonely. I love that you were able to enjoy spring break with MJ though, I'm sure that made a world of difference too. But I agree, it can only go up from here :) Happy (belated) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you said "I spent my birthday alone, not lonely." That's such a good point! I would have also been depressed if I had spent it alone in my early twenties...but now I wouldn't mind some alone time! I would definitely go treat myself to a nice lunch with some nice wine and a good book. Sounds like you still had a great day!
    p.s. How is editing coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice Starbucks employees are seldom friendly, but your neighborhood coffee baristas just about always are- but I'll always take a free coffee - friendly or not.

    I'm glad you were able to spend a wonderful week for MJ and celebrated early.I'm an introvert too- alone but not lonely is a natural state for me as well. I'm glad you were content with your day and happy belated! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the miserable barista but I'm glad she didn't impact your day in any significant way! I like your birthday attitude. I've never been one for birthdays either, I often work mine and don't tell anyone. I don't like being made a fuss of/being centre of attention so I'd often rather just let it slide. As long as I can eat as much cake as I want in my own time I'm good. As a severe introvert I'm also all about that alone but not lonely time!

    Happy belated birthday; I'm glad you had a good day. Here's hoping your husband will be with you for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated! Glad you had a nice day! It sure does sound like nothing can top last year!!! I always liked a big celebration on my bday lol, but last year I had a super low-key day and just did all my favorite everyday things (wandered Trader Joe's, slept in, read a book, painted my nails) and it was my favorite birthday ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry I missed your birthday!! Happy belated!
    As an introvert and home-body, his doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a birthday! Not that I do much else to celebrate any ways :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.