From Diapers to Double Dates


My parents are retired now and California 'aint cheap so they started house hunting in August.   I was fine with it, as if I have any say so in the matter. When they got back, they told me they found a house.  Okay, so their really gonna move.  I knew it was happening and I was still fine with it.  I was at work when I got a text message that the new house would finish being built in December.  I was no longer fine with it, and I cried because it wasn't until then that the move felt real to me.  Like, really, real as in I will no longer be able to see my parents whenever I want to.  My sisters' moved a way a long time ago so they already know what it's like not to have mom and dad nearby, but I don't.  I moved out six months after I graduated from college so I really didn't expect to be crying about mom and dad moving in my thirties.  They sold my childhood home last year.  It was sad, but they were still here.  I knew this was coming, but it feels different when it's happening next month.  When I say next month that's next week.  November is all but done and they are moving the week after Thanksgiving.  Las Vegas isn't far.  I've been going there at least once a year already, but it's not here.  It's not forty five minutes away, and that is going to take some getting used to.

They spent their 43rd wedding anniversary knee deep in packing and fielding inquiries on Craigslist about five drawer dressers and sofa tables.  Does anyone remember the Penny Saver?  Well, my parents sure do and that's where they put an add to sell a bunch of stuff, but us young whipper snappers know that Craigslist is everything.  My mom is learning, but not quite computer savvy enough for Craigslist so I posting their stuff and oh, my gosh is it crazy!  I have to forward all e-mails to my mom and I've only seen a portion of the interaction she's getting, but she says keeping up with it is a part time job.  They got two calls out of Penny Saver. 
We are trying to squeeze in as much as we can with them while they are still here.  My mom and I did mother daughter facials and lunch a few weeks ago and on Saturday we met at  The Cottage in La Jolla for a double date.  It looks like a house that's been turned into a restaurant and I've never had food come out so fast.  I'm always on a quest for the best french toast in San Diego and this place takes the #1 spot away from DZ Akins

My parents used to change my diapers and now we go out on double dates.  They have been through a hell of a lot in their 43 years of marriage and yet here they are stronger than ever, sitting across from MJ and I who have barely just begun.  It was one of those days that I stood there tilting my face into the sun and smiling, just because it felt so good to be where I was in that moment.  My beautiful parents.  My amazing husband.  The weather was 75 degrees because San Diego still has no clue it's not Summer.  Sitting outside chowing down on french toast and sipping on mimosas was a really nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

This is the last Thanksgiving with my parents, and I don't even want to talk about Christmas.  I'm grown and married.  Why am I taking this so hard?  Just thinking about it gets the tears rolling but, we're making the most of the time we have left.  

13 comments

  1. How exciting for your parents!! I can so relate to how you feel, my parents lived here in Texas and were within 45minutes of where I lived. Then they told my sister and I they were ready to move to their retirement house early, and within a few months it was all done, they had bought a house and some land in Oklahoma my moms home state and off they were. It been a couple of years since they moved and it is still an adjustment for both my sister and I. But, I can say that I cheerish them more now more than I ever did before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just bought a house that is 5 minutes from my parents' house, so I completely understand. I know I'm a grown maried woman, but I LIKE my parents. You're right that Vegas isn't very far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! What a sweet post. I'm 27 and I still get tears in my eyes every time I leave after a visit with my mom. It's tough no matter how old you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for your parents but so sad for the fact that they will be far from you. 43 years of marriage, wow, I want to be just like your parents when I grow up.

    I totally understand how you feel. I only live 10 min away from my mom and see her every week. I will be so sad when I have to move or she does. Maybe I'll just move with her.

    So maybe more trips to Vegas for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big adjustment! Good luck to them in their new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary to your gorgeous parents! Where are they moving?

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't lived near my parents in ten years, but you better bet I will ball my eyes out when we move this time. I know how hard it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least you know you'll be visiting them often since they are moving to an awesome place! But I know exactly how you feel because I feel the same way. When you're use to seeing your family anytime you choose making the adjustment to not being able to do so is hard. But y'all have a close relationship and that makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. change is hard, especially when it involves our loved ones - but I'm sure this will make your bond even stronger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your parents are doing amazing things. What a blessing it is to see them alive and well and living how they want to live!!!! Don't cry too long, think about you guys have somewhere nice to visit now!!! I'm sure you guys will be super close still.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Las Vegas will definitely be a reason to visit ALL the time...glad they are not moving too far away but you are right..them not being there is not the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's so sweet how close you are to your parents! i would be bummed as well.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.