Wicked Good Date and a Wicked Bad One

When we were in New York we were interested in seeing Wicked but saw Kinky Boots instead so when Wicked came to town for eight weeks we were all over it.  I thought tickets were expensive just because it was New York but unfortunately I think theater in general is expensive.  We got really good seats though and it was a really good show.  I grew up knowing about Dorothy and Toto with their gang of friends off to see the wizard but new nothing about who got smashed under the house, the background of the Tin Man, Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion and how Glenda and the Wicked Witch of the West came to be.  Turns out the wicked witch was not wicked at all; just misunderstood.
It was my first date with that cute little Louis that required documentation.  There is a neat story behind it too that I will share later.
We planned it so we could go to the play and then have dinner at Fleming's downtown.  I have no sense of direction but when MJ said it was on the opposite side so we should drive I looked it up.  I tend to believe there isn't any place I can't walk to and I didn't want to give up the parking we had already paid for.  It was only .7 miles.  We walked a million miles in New York and I was wearing my comfy flat knee high boots.  Definitely walkable, and then we got to stop for cheap drinks along the way.  I got this $40 off coupon from my AmEx card which may or may not even cover an entree depending on what you get, but a discount is a discount.  I'd never been and it sounded like a great idea to add it onto our date.  After having eaten so much chicken over the last year I crave juicy steak's more then I ever have before.  I got the filet and it did not disappoint.  MJ got a filet with crab and caviar on top.  Eww.  The steaks were juicy and full of flavor, the garlic flavor of the mashed potatoes was perfect and the bread was hot and crusty.  Fine (very expensive) dining is kind of overrated in my book.  I don't need a $40 steak but if I get one it better be good; And it was.   Forgive me for a second while I swoon over my husband.  I didn't get a picture of him so you will have to believe me when I say he looked so cute!  He was freshly shaved which I love because it brings out his baby face.  He refused to wear slacks or dress shoes but he wore a nice button up.  It was a wicked good date.
How does he manage to look cute at a time like this?  Cute but gross!! And hey, they won  the championship so he'd say it was worth it.
Sunday's date however was terrible.  It was very poorly planned or should I say not planned at all and the ambiance was terrible.  I met my grungy blood spattered husband at the emergency room where he promptly devoured a foot long subway sandwich plus cookie while we waited for hours in butt numbing chairs amongst a crowd of injured and/or potentially contagious people.  Fun, I tell ya.  I got the dreaded text message that Mr. Accident Prone had done it again and I needed to find an urgent care.  He got hurt in his last (of three) flag football games and when you get hurt after 5pm on the weekends the only option is the ER.  He hadn't eaten all day and they told him it was a 90 minute wait so I plucked my pajama clad body off the couch, threw on some sweats and made a Subway stop before meeting him there.  He got there at 6:30pm, I got there at 7:30pm, he got called back at 9:45pm and we were out of there around 10:45pm with seven stitches in his head.  He's quite the trooper.  He actually went back into the game after he busted his head, didn't even flinch when the needle went in and was up by 4:30am for work today.

It's going to be a long Monday.

It wasn't an ideal way to spend a Sunday evening but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I would have felt like crap sitting at home while he starved alone for hours with a busted head.  Being married means that sometimes you just gotta step up to the plate and choose the inconvenient option.  When he thanked me and told me what a good wife I was it made the whole ordeal more then worth it. 

19 comments

  1. Wow! So sorry your weekend came to such a crappy end. But that's cool you got to see Wicked! I've been wanting to see it for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your husband is doing better, but I had to laugh when you said "potentially contagious people" because I think the same thing when I go to the ER. LOL! But at least you had a great date on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of fine dining chains (like Flemmings)- I do think they can be overpriced. I do however like finding fine dining non chains unique to each city-- usually those experiences are worth it. Lately, though, I'm been more about farm to table dining.

    You are a good wife, hope you get some sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh I want to see Wicked SO bad! sounds like your husband is a trooper, too bad that had to be how you ended your weekend though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to the inconvenience option sometimes!!!!

    I HATE the ER but I'm glad your husband is ok. The fact that you still swoon over him makes you guys so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved Wicked. The costumes were so incredible. I'm glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Glad he's doing ok! I love Wicked, and Flemings but they are a bit on the pricey side. Date number one sounds like it was pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your husband is ok! But it is so true about sometimes having to take the inconvenient option in marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVING that Louis! Definitely needed to be documented ;-)

    So glad your husband is ok, hope your Monday was better !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wicked is my favorite!!! I want to take Eric to go see it when it comes up to L.A. Also, Flemings is really good, but I have to say Mastro's is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your guy is a real trooper! Hopefully he heals quick! Your Wicked date sounds like so much fun - something Nick and I would be totally into. Nick wouldn't wear slacks or dress shoes either! LOL! The resturant and your meal sounds sooooo good!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad he's doing ok, hopefully he will heal quick and soon. Your date sounded like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad your husband is okay. He is a tough one. Y'all make a good couple! Glad you had a good date night. I have always wanted to see Wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! What an experience with flag football and then heading to work at 4:30A the next day! I got hit in the temple with a rogue beer can at the lake and went to work the next day only to realize I had a concussion and went home.

    The steak dinner looks amazing and I want it! I had no idea that Wicked was about the Wizard of Oz. Or maybe I did and I forgot. I like that the wicked witch isn't actually wicked - I will add this one to the list to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa!

    I read Wicked a few years ago and have been wanting to see the Broadway show. Looks so fun!

    Sorry to hear that your husband got all sorts of jacked up. At least he could smile about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot believe I am saying this as a New Yorker but I have never seen Wicked. I have been blessed with seeing many Broadway shows but never saw that one. I MUST get on this. And glad your husband is ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 7 stiches! I am so sorry, but I'm glad all is okay.

    I wasn't a huge fan of Wicked. We watched it this summer and I don't know...it just didn't click for me??

    ReplyDelete
  18. OUCH!!!! Glad he is okay! p.s. I lovvve Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes... live theater (especially the big name shows) can be really expensive! I understand why when you think about the number of people involved, etc. but I wish it weren't so that more people could be exposed to some of the greats :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.