I listen to this radio segment called Second Try or is it Good-Bye? on Channel 94.1 that usually comes on during my commute to work. I don't even get mad about traffic those days because it means I won't miss the conclusion. If I hear the first part I have to know what happens! The basic idea is that people who have been jilted after a first date call in to see if the radio station can find out why, and/or try to get them a second date. When it first started, I couldn't believe they were going to embarrass people like that on the radio. So cringe worthy! So awkward! I mean, how sad for a person to hear why another person doesn't like them and never wants to see them again blasted over the radio. I certainly wouldn't have the guts to call in for that information and be publicly rejected. It's still very awkward when people get all defensive or if it turns into an argument, but I've gotten used to it and now I just look forward to the juicy details.
I am very fascinated by relationships in general, which is why it's no surprise that I love Married at First Sight. Never mind how it's gone off the deep end. I find it so interesting to see how relationships are as unique as the individuals themselves and how each person introduces personality and viewpoints that have such a huge impact on whether the relationship works, or doesn't even start. First impressions are huge and some things are deal breakers. The track record is not good. Most people don't get second dates.
And here you have it, 16 things not to do on a first date as discovered by single people of San Diego. Single or married, it's a fun read.
4. Don't order any fun foods that might might get attention at restaurants. Stay away from sizzling fajitas or big ass Margaritas the size of your head or else your date may think that you are an attention monger just like his ex girlfriend. NO
5. Don't wear too much over the top make up when he's already seen you at the gym looking perfect as ever au natural. If you show up with fake lashes, show girl make-up, tons of jewelry, and a short tight dress he might feel like he's dating an entirely different girl than the one he asked out. YES
6. Don't make too much money and choose a restaurant for the first date that is way out of his price range. If he's a barista, and you are a lawyer it is not going to work. He's tried it before and he knows that at some point your friends and family will be talking crap behind his back and he doesn't want to go through that again. NO
7. Don't spit on the ground excessively. I think a gal can understand if you are sick with a cold or just happen to have a bit of phlegm that can't wait, but do not spit consistently throughout the date. It's really a turn off. NO
8. Don't stalk your date on every form of social media and then talk to him about things that you would only know if you had done that. It might make a cute story after you've been together for a while, but on your first date. Creepy. When you express concern over this don't be surprised if he says, "Well, good luck dating people who don't like you." NO
9. Don't insist that your dog is basically the same thing as a child. Don't claim that you understand her struggle as a single mom because you are single and you have a dog. If she insists that it's actually different, don't dig in your heels and say that it's the same exact thing, because you also have to get a babysitter when you go out of town or on a date. NO
10. Don't talk about all the hot guys you've dated. Name dropping is also not necessary. You might think it is making you appear more desirable and amazing, but it gives the impression that you are superficial, and it makes him feel insecure and like he couldn't possibly measure up to the hunks that have kissed your lips. NO
11. Don't invite your ex boyfriend to join you while you are on your first date with another guy, if you happen to see him sitting alone at the bar. NO
12. Don't assume that just because you blew up the bathroom with your unexpected and totally inconvenient post dinner poops after she invited you into her tiny apartment for a drink that she never wants to talk to you again. She and her roommate were not laughing at you, and don't find you the most disgusting person on earth. They actually had no idea that it even happened. YES
13. Don't drop your phone in the toilet, switch to a temporary flip phone, and lose her number. YES
14. Don't be "just a bartender" when your date is only interested in men with an established career or actively pursuing an established career. You might find out later, that he is actually in grad school and change your mind when he calls into a radio station to find out why you didn't want a second date, but by then it's too late because he's already extremely offended by your attitude. NO
15. Don't spend half the date talking on the phone to your twelve year old daughter who is perfectly capable and self sufficient. He may think that you don't have room in your life for a man right now. YES
16. Don't deny being a smoker when you pick him up in your car that reeks of cigarette smoke. All the mints in the world won't hide the taste of tobacco when he goes in for a good-night kiss. Smoking can be a deal breaker and even though you say you would be willing to quit for the right person, you've already shown yourself to be a liar. NO
Only 5 out of 16 got second dates proving once again that first impressions really are everything. Make it count.