Working on that Home Decor Thing


Setting up a brand new house is very expensive. There isn't any fixing up to do, but not to fear, there are still plenty of things to spend money on. We bought four ceiling fans, three pendant lights, and so many other things I've lost count. It never seemed to end. I think we were at Home Depot every weekend for the first six months. We kept the majority of our furniture from our old home, but we did spend money replacing a desk, bar stools, fold out couch for a spare bedroom, and a buffet. The only additional item we've purchased is a 4 tier shelf for our entry way. Our couch is about to be ten years old and we're ready for a new one, but we've had to wait because of those darn priorities. Our biggest expense was outdoor landscaping, which we were required to take care of right away. Once we got that together we prioritized getting our patio cover, and outdoor furniture so we could enjoy the backyard. We also had to buy window coverings for 29 windows. We picked up a few items here and there to decorate, but for the most part home decor as fallen to the bottom of our priority list.

Disclosure: I was gifted a free product in order to share my honest opinion.
 
We've lived in our house for almost 1 1/2 years and it's still pretty bare, so I was really thrilled when Photo Wall reached out with the offer of a wall decor item. We have So. Many. White. Walls. We needed it.




When I first checked out the website I was overwhelmed because there are so many options. After many days of browsing I decided that we definitely weren't brave enough for a wall mural. I wish we were, because it would break up all the white in our house. I love the clean bright look, but we definitely needed to bring some color, so I filtered my search down to multi-color illustrations. I was also able to sort by style, format, room, and subject. What I love most about Photo Wall is how customizable everything is. The size, orientation of the print (portrait or landscape), and even what section of the print you want in your particular print is totally customizable. No matter what room or the size wall you are looking to decorate, Photo Wall has something for you. If you like illustrations or abstract art they have it. If you are looking for photography, they have that too. They even offer the option to have a canvas or print made from your own photos. We chose a canvas with the print wrapping around the edge, but they also had options for a white or black edge. We could have even chose to have it hang mounted. If you don't want a frame at all you can order just the canvas and frame it yourself. Once you find a print you like, you can probably have it in a framed print, canvas print, poster, or wallpaper.

Our canvas arrived in one long skinny box. The frame came in four pieces, with detailed instructions about how to put it together. I was a little nervous about messing the whole thing up, so I enlisted MJ for help, but it turns out it was pretty easy. We unrolled the canvas, laid it face down, and set the four wooden pieces of the frame on each edge with the ridged edge facing in. Then we unpeeled the tape from each of the four sections of the frame, pressed the sticky side down firmly on the very edge of the canvas, and folded it inward. I was concerned about the very tight fit on one of the corners, but all the corners evened out and fit together nicely once we placed the braces in and started twisting the screws into the pre-made holes.


The shipping was fast, and I was really pleased with the quality. The canvas is very thick and nicely textured. I can smell that 'real wood' smell on the frame. I second guessed my decision a little bit after I placed my order, but as soon as I took it out of the box the first thing I said was how pretty it is and I knew I made the right choice. This canvas is now the most colorful item in our entire home. The bright splashy colors are perfect to break up all the white, and we'll be able to pick up any one of  those gorgeous colors in the canvas to use as a highlight in our decor. I'm still kind of obsessed with the wall murals and wallpaper, because of the incredible way it can transform a room. A statement wall could be really awesome in our house of white walls once we get a better handle on where we are going with decor.

This is our new buffet. We Love it.
If you are interested in getting some wall art from Photo Wall for your own home I have a code for that! Use code mahoganydrive2020 at check out to save 25% on your purchase. The code is good for one month. Shipping is free. If you do buy something please share. I'd love to know what you got.

Related: Things to Consider When Buying New Construction

3 comments

  1. Fixing up a house, and doing imperative things first is SO expensive. Unfortunately, decorating is also expensive, and often low on the priority list. My house has been "Decorated" with Good Will stuff that is most definitely NOT my style for years now.. it's always something! I'm hoping eventually I can change all that. I'm not particularly good at decorating though either... I love the print you chose. It's so vibrant !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the print you chose! Bright and cheerful. Also loving that buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg setting up a new home is crazy expensive! I love seeing blogger's before and after's but I don't know how they do them like 30 days after buying a house. LOL I love love love the print you chose! That is stunning and so colorful!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.