That Day We Spent 10 Hours Chasing Waterfalls

 twin falls
The first stop was Twin Falls.  It was still pretty early and we knew it wasn't going to be a long walk so we kept our flip flops on.  It was fine but half way through I wish we'd changed.  It was so beautiful and so quiet.  It was the perfect start on our journey to Hana. 

the three bears
The next stop was even better.  We had to park our car on the side of the street and then walk back to see it.  The Gypsy guide said you could go down to get a closer look but that he didn't recommend it.  Well, we decided to go for it.  It's hard to even tell that you can.  It's like going into a giant ditch at the side of the road.  We held onto the rocks and climbed down.  There wasn't really the clearest of paths to the falls.  We wound our way over rocks, under trees and through streams.  I lost my balance and stepped in the water fully submerging my left foot tennis shoe and all.  We got to a point where we had a good view of the water falling down the rock but couldn't see the pool of water that it was landing in.  There were giant boulders blocking our view so we kept climbing to get closer.  I'm so glad we did.  When the pool came into view it was breathtaking.  There was another couple that made the climb down when we did.  It looked like they weren't going to keep going.  I said, "Come on.  You need to see this."  It was simply amazing.


That bridge over my head is the street that we climbed down from





waianapanapa State Park
black sand beach
At Waianapanapa State Park we stopped at Black Sand Beach first.  It's a beach with black sand and it's really pretty.  Then we headed for the trail which is basically a big circle.  I felt like I was in some kind of fantasy adventure movie like Hansel and Gretel or The Hobbit.  Moss covered rocks.  Babbling streams and trees so lush that the sun was completely blocked out.  The air was crisp and cooler in there and it's so quiet you can hear your each and every step.  We happened upon a cave with a pool in it.  That's the best way I can describe it.  There were four people swimming in it and one of the guys challenged us to jump in.  The only way to get in is to jump and then you have to climb out.  I was too scared because I can't swim but MJ went for it.  It was pretty damn cool to see him swimming in a cave in the rain forest.


Black Sand Beach

See how clear the water is?

haleakala national park
 pipiwai trail, bamboo forest
waimoku falls
seven sacred pools
The last stop was my favorite and most anticipated one of the trip.  In all we spent about 3 hours in Haleakala National Park.  The first thing we did was hit Pipiwai Trail because it's a 4 mile hike (round trip) and I wanted to make sure we had enough time to enjoy it.  I got really hot so I took off my shirt. 

I'm so lame.  I was trying to open the gate from the wrong side and nearly broke the darn thing.  Oops.



We walked deeper and deeper into the wilderness until we finally hit the Bamboo forest.  I was so excited! We were surrounded by sky high thick shoots of bamboo so deep and so thick that it blocked out the sun.  I'm telling you.  It was one of the coolest things I have ever experienced in my life.  By the time we headed back it was almost pitch black in there.  And oh so quiet and peaceful.  It makes you feel so small and like you are the only one on the planet to be so surrounded by nature.


After what seemed like forever we started to hear the rush of water in the distance.  The ground got muddier and then we got to a part where all that was left of the trail was boulders scattered across a stream of water.  We were getting closer!  It took us 1 1/2 hours and it was so worth it.  Waimoku Falls is by far the largest and most powerful waterfall compared to the other three.  It is truly magnificent.  People gathered around staring at it but not everyone was going in.
Waimoku Falls
I think we're going to ignore that sign
There was a long stretch of rocks leading up to the pool.  I looked at that crisp cool water and said, "I'm doing it."  Mj was shocked.  I stripped off my clothes and started making my way to the falls.   I got as close as I could before taking off my shoes.  Bare feet on rock is kinda painful so this is where aqua socks would have come in handy.  I almost fell down several times but I  had walked so long and so far to get there nothing was going to stop me.  The bottom of the pool is covered in rocks too so even once I got in there it was hard to move around without falling.  The roar of the water was really loud and the water rushing down was so cold but I was so excited I barely noticed.  I had my photo op then MJ had his.  I actually had to go back and do it all over again because he didn't get not a single decent shot of me the first time.  There was no way I was leaving without preserving this forever so back over the rocks I went.  We knew we had to get moving to get on the road before sunset so we were booking it on the way back.  It took us 45 minutes to get back so Pipiwai Trail took us about 2 1/2 hours all together.


Me in my 3rd outfit of the day.  4th if you count the bikini.
It was a quick hike to Seven Sacred Pools.  When we get there I see kids and babies chilling on the rocks with their parents.  I was like, how did they get these babies over here? We had a hard enough time making it on our own.  It's all rock and there is no clear path.  MJ went in first to test the depth and it's a good thing he did because that side was pretty deep and I can't swim.   I got in from a different side and then he literally had to carry me in because I was too afraid to let my legs touch all the moss that that was growing up the sides.  I might be brave enough to stand under a 400 foot waterfall but I'm still a girly girl.  On the way back I lost my balance and my left foot went in the water.  I was used to it by then.
Seven Sacred Pools
sexy face

It was a quick walk back to our car after that.  My shoes were so filthy I tossed them in the trash and put my flip flops on and then it was a 3 hour drive home.  We spent 10 hours chasing water falls that day.  We got to experience the wonder and beauty of Hana together and it was so much fun.  It was the longest, most exhausting but also the most exhilarating and best day of our entire vacation.

Our Last Days in Maui

Tips on driving the road to Hana

14 comments

  1. What an experience! Your pictures so so pretty - I can only imagine how beautiful those waterfalls are in person. It's so neat that you were able to climb down from the bridge and also see a cave. I think the last location is my favorite, though. Loving these recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun!! (And I'm super jealous of the weather since I'm up here in Canada and apparently we're getting frozen rain/ice crystals tonight - boo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredible! I want to spend ALL my time chasing waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful! It must be really hot over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it all looks so beautiful and serene. Nice abs too, by the way:-) I hope to visit Hawaii someday soon. I'm glad you had a wonderful vacation. That's what life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are one fit couple! My goodness. I would love to have your physique and chase waterfalls too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics! What an amazing experience.

    Nature is so remarkable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful pictures, you both look amazing in your bathing suits especially you, your bikini pictures have me drooling. I have to remind myself that you are a model :).

    Looks like such a great day was had by all

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are no words for how beautiful those falls are, and holy hot mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love waterfalls. I think they are so pretty! and Whoa look at those abs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful couple! and you in that bikini, hot stuff! these pictures are incredible! i need to do this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful waterfalls. Pictures were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I can not believe you got to see all of that in person!! It is so gorgeous. I have never seen a waterfall like that huge one in real life and I want to. I also feel so proud and envious of all the work y'all did to get there. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to climb and hike so many miles to get there. What a gorgeous vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man! This was one of my greatest experiences. I'm so glad you got to do it too! It's so beautiful/breathtaking! One day, I hope to go back.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.