Volunteers Wanted

I hate painting. Painting our house started out fun but ended up being torture.  With the prepping and taping and extra coats it takes so long.  We still have 3 bathrooms and two bedrooms with plain white walls that I do not even want to touch. So when Mj signed us up to paint the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) Building at 7:30 am on a Saturday I wasn't too thrilled.  It was for a good cause so I didn't fuss. Well, not too much anyways. They had a bunch of projects going on to spruce up the building.  We signed up to outside painting which is a heck of a lot better then painting inside because outside you don't have to tape things off and if the paint falls on the ground it's no big deal.  Everyone grabbed brushes and pitched in wherever it was needed and by the end of our time there the we'd all painted a garage, two cinder block walls, part of the building and you know what?  Turns out it wasn't so bad after all.  It was actually kinda fun.
We did this through the company that Mj works for.  They fed us breakfast and lunch and provided us with giant sexy red T-Shirts.  The kind that I won't even wear to the gym.  It will go in the drawer with the rest of my collection of T-shirts of sentimental value that I won't wear OR get rid of.  We were done by 11:30am and still had the rest of our Saturday.  And what did we do with it?  Showered, watched a movie and then took a great nap on the couch.  Then Mj spent the rest of the day doing homework while I lazed around on the couch getting caught up on House Hunters.  Since last Saturday I was in LA and this Saturday I was painting a building our house went another week without a cleaning.  Technically I could have done it when I got home, but realistically; yeah right.  If I don't do it Saturday morning when I get up it probably 'aint gonna happen.  Oh well.  There is always next weekend. 

I donate money here and there sporadically and I haven't done any kind of volunteer work in a really, really long time.  Sometimes I do feel very badly that I don't do more when I know how fortunate I am to have what I do.  Time is so precious when so much of it seems to be spent at work, doing chores and trying to fit in time at the gym.  It's always the same old excuse.  I don't have time.  I only get the weekends and I want to enjoy them.  I have too much to do. So while I was annoyed at first I'm glad that Mj took the initiative and signed me up for it too.  It felt good to volunteer my time to do something good for others.

 
Bloglovin' // Twitter // Facebook // Instagram

7 comments

  1. I understand how you feel. We keep saying that we should do more for charities, but then when the weekends roll around, we get so caught up with our own lives. It's nice to take a step back once in awhile. I'm glad you guys did this!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have a heart of gold!!! You are way better than me because I hate nothing more than to paint...and oh, laundry kinda sucks too! :) What a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for y'all for getting out and doing a good thing! I have never had to paint anything big, so I don't know if I would hate it or not. I think you look cute in that red shirt! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Volunteering for a good cause is good for the soul! Even better when you do it with someone you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that y'all did that! Mj is awesome! And you're awesome for going.

    Love the sexy giant red shirts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you two are oure awesome. you are always doing something for your community. great work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I've been following your site for a while now and finally got the
    bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood
    Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.