Ready For Some Football

I always thought football was boring and watching it was mostly a confusing experience that I only went along with because everyone else was so annoyingly captivated.  About three years ago I figured if you can't beat 'em join 'em and put my mind to it to discover the magic and joy of football. Ok, so I wouldn't go that far but I started watching it with people who know football which is mostly everyone and asking questions until I finally got the gist of what the heck was going on enough to enjoy it. I may have been a cheerleader in high school, but up to that point the only thing I knew was that a touchdown was worth 6 points and that they usually kick the ball for a field goal after scoring one.  Now I can partake in all the fun social gatherings surrounding this popular game with actual interest in what's going on.  When people stand up and cheer or boo I know why whereas before I was always a few seconds late and cheered just because everyone else was.  I am not a fanatic.  I find myself spending many a lazy Sunday's alternately watching and falling asleep to whatever football game is on, but now that I have a clue as to what the heck is going on it is fun to watch.
Pre game.   "Foreigner" sang the national anthem

 
Thursday night I went to my first NFL game ever.  It was so cool seeing the ABC booth where Deon Sanders and company provide live commentary for TV.  Being December there was a really fun holiday vibe going on.  The Charger girls were decked out in blue Sexy Mrs. Claus outfits and they had Santa Claus as their cameraman. It was comical and slightly odd watching them gyrate their booties suggestively to "Santa Baby."  I saw something I have never before seen in my entire life.  A line for the men's bathroom.  I looked back and forth between the entrance to the men's bathroom and the trail of men curving around the corner several times in disbelief before I believed it to be true.   That's what they get for drinking all that beer!  I only had about three ladies in front of me in our line.

It was cold.  So cold that I could not drink a beer even though I wanted one and I didn't bat an eye at spending $5 on hot chocolate.  It actually saved me money because the beers were $10 and it was well worth it for the rush of warmth it sent through my body, if only temporary.  Being at the game was fun and exciting.  The stands were packed, the crowd was pumped, and the home team beat the 49ers 34 to 7.  It can be hit and miss with the Chargers, so I'm really glad we picked a game where they blew the other team out of the water and got to experience a winning game.  These games are loud and you get to yell and scream as much as you want without anyone looking at you sideways...as long as it's for the home team.
The trolley line
On our walk back to the trolley my toes were actually numb.  I know that Cali weather's got nothin' on all the madness that's going on in the Midwest but so what.  I'm a Cali girl and I was freezing.  We packed ourselves into the trolley like sardines in a can for the ride back to our cars.  It smelled like stale beer and I almost fell over a couple times, but at least it was warm.

It sure is different watching the game live.  At first I felt a lost without the running expert commentary and bright blue line showing me where the next down is, but my efforts have paid off.  I am a football fan now.  Kind of.  I know enough to follow along, MJ filled in the blanks, and fun was had by all.

7 comments

  1. Being an L.A. girl, I've never been to/cheered for a football team ever. I think it would be a fun thing to see once though! Looks like they put on a good show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exactly like you! I'm not really a football fan, but having male roommates for the last 4 years is helping me learn a lot. I still ask questions, I still don't REALLY get it, but I participated in Fantasy Football this year and one day I hope to go to a real game! Hopefully that will be with my future husband. Hooray for San Diego, too - didn't realize you lived here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun...I love love/die to go to a Steelers game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching a game live is so much better than on TV. I love going to Cowboys games, especially at the new stadium!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never been to a live game! i would love to go to one. i don't go out of my way to watch a football game but i enjoy it when i do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been able to get the whole football thing but I do love going to baseball games. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Football is the best thing ever... even better than basketball. I have been to several games and i have enjoyed every moment. As a sport fanatic i really can't miss a Sunday of football...I am glad you had fun... if you take your time to watch on TV you will slowly get the general idea.... Happy Holiday!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.