From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon


I will complain about the prices in Las Vegas every time and then go right back. Las Vegas has always been expensive, but the level of expensive has definitely gone up and like most people who love and enjoy Vegas, I really don't like it, but apparently it's not enough to stop me from going. We keep going back and when we do we pack in a lot. I wonder if some day we'll have a leisurely trip to Vegas where we laze about and don't stay up until the brink of exhaustion every night. Maybe, but this trip was not it. We were on the go the ENTIRE time. 

Full Video Here: From Las Vegas to The Grand Canyon (And How Much it All Costs)

This time we stayed at the Flamingo Hotel, which incidentally is the oldest hotel still in operation on the strip. We got a budget break there because it's one of the more affordable center strip locations; but nothing else would be cheap. This probably would not have been my first choice of a hotel but this is where my family would be staying and this is where the reunion would be so we went with it. And it was okay. Nothing fancy. The room was spacious and felt clean. You can't beat the location and I liked the price. We paid $495 for three nights which is less than we paid for two nights at the Bellagio Hotel 6 weeks ago. I'll take it.


 

 

On day one we finally made it to Eataly at MGM Park. Loved it! I'd describe it as a high end authentic Italian food court. I got a prosciutto sandwich and it was so so good. It had better be for $18 with no sides. We also went back to Bellagio Gardens and Conservatory to check out the Summer theme. They change out the theme five times per year so it was cool that we got to see two different themes in one year. Later that night we paid $38 for the pleasure of a 28 minute ride in the High Roller Wheel at night. And because they will capitalize on demand it's actually a little bit more expensive to go at night. I happily accepted a 20% discount for staying at Flamingo. It was really fun! It moves so very slow, but of course the views were amazing. I'd been wanting to do this for a while but had never gotten around to it. 

Another thing I've wanted to do; but just never got around to was a visit to the Grand Canyon. After living it up on the High Roller Wheel we had to wake up at five freaking thirty to catch the bus to Arizona. Oh man that hurt me so much...but it was so worth it! The Grand Canyon is so grand. It took us about three hours to get to the Grand Canyon West entrance. This is located on the Hualapai reservation and they run the whole thing. I'm not a afraid of heights, but the sheer magnitude of the edge of the Grand Canyon was frightening.








There are two stops here. Eagle Point and Guano point. Eagle point had a thick chain across it; not that it could really stop a tumble anyway, but Guano point had nothing. It was just you and the edge of the world. I trip all the time! One wrong stumble over there and you are gone gone gone. It was just crazy to think about. Incidentally there are only about 2-3 deaths per year on average from accidental falls. That's not a lot considering there are 5 million visitors per year. At Eagle point there is a traditional Indian reservation set up and at Guano point there is a mountain to climb as if you aren't already high enough! We had a really tasty hot meal there too. We didn't really have time for breakfast so I was starving. We stopped at Hoover Dam AND Lake Mead on the way back. It was a long day. We boarded the bus at 6am and didn't get back to Vegas until 6pm. Then we had 9:30 dinner reservations at Bavette's Steakhouse in Park MGM because we weren't tired enough.



 

On day three we went to the Flamingo Go Pool. AKA the party pool. We paid $140 each for lounge chairs. We definitely got ripped off, but that's what happens in Vegas. If you don't pay for a seat there you have to squat around the edge of the pool with your towel and all of your things. You actually have to fight for space ON THE GROUND. I'm not even joking. And then we spent $89 for 1 order of chicken tenders with fries and two drinks. This is a strange strange expensive place. The other options besides the ground were lounge beds for two, larger day beds, and cabanas. For the beds they can be as low as $75 for the smaller one for off peak days but $250 plus for a Friday and you have to double that because the food minimum is the same as what you pay for the bed. If you want a cabana you either need a group or a wealthy benefactor. I must focus on the fact that I enjoyed myself or else I'd be mad about the prices and never go back. The live DJ was poppin', I enjoyed my drinks at the pool and my time with MJ and my sister. Those are the things that count.

That night (after a quick nap) we went to the family reunion at one of the Banquet rooms in the Flamingo. This was the main reason for our visit this time. We had a beautiful time! This entire trip was really special because my whole family was there. We all got on the dance floor. I danced with my dad for the first time since my wedding. We haven't had a family reunion in 20 years or more! I love my family so much and I just can barely even put it into words how amazing it all was.



One our last day I finally caught the Bellagio water show again, we grabbed a bite to eat at Cosmopolitan Overlook Grill, and did a little bit of gambling. This mimosa tower was HIS idea. I wasn't so sure, but we finished it all and it was so good. We stopped at my parents house before we headed to the airport and that was a wrap on Vegas.  I really enjoyed this trip. I was definitely tired by the end of it and my wallet needs a break for sure, but we have a running list of hotels we want to stay at next. I know I'll be back.

7 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing that. I’d like to try the GC tour.
    No thanks to those pool prices!! Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long day but a lot of fun and it was great that nobody had to worry about driving. It really is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had wonderful time. I see the children in your family are growing up. I been reading you for awhile. Geez, I actually felt older. Thanks for sharing. Cashana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun! And yes. Those kids are growing. They are making me feel old too!!

      Delete
    2. Also thanks for being a long time reader. I often think I am just posting to myself and then comments like this pop up every now and then. : )

      Delete
  3. I still cannot get over the pool and food prices. Insane!!! I haven’t been to Vegas since 1995 so it’s been a super duper long time but with those prices, I’m not sure I’ll ever be returning LOL. Grand Canyon does look amazing though. That’s still in my bucket list. I did see Lake Mead and Hoover Dam back in ‘95 and it was really something to see that. Good memories. ~Toni D. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. It's gotten so expensive! I feel like I've been robbed every time I go. It's interesting b/c The Grand Canyon was never a place I really wanted to go...and then after going I can't believe it wasn't! I don't know what I was thinking. It's really incredible. Hope you get to go!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.