Summer in San Diego Is Stunning

 

We didn't have a summer vacation vacation. We went to Vegas twice in two months, but we decided to do a different kind of trip this year and that isn't happening until December. Which felt like a really long time with the summer stretched ahead of us, but you know how that saying goes? Time flies! Summer time flew by so quickly. We did a lot of fun things. That vacation will be here before we know it.

We had friends and family in town so we did vacation things at home. What better city to vacation at home than San Diego? May Gray and June gloom is a thing here and it was really really bad this year. After a very rainy spring it dragged on longer and heavier than I've ever seen, but once it cleared up it was spectacular.



Check it out HERE on YouTube

We did a three-hour sunset sail with Sail San Diego. I’ve been on catamarans, but I think this was my first time on an actual sailboat. Catamarans are wider, hold a lot more people, and we moved a lot faster on those. This was pretty smooth and slow sailing the entire time and the max guests per boat is only 6 so it wasn't exactly private but kinda felt like it because it was our group of four plus one other person. I would’ve never known if our captain hadn’t told us but those all around us were racing. This is something they do during the summer on certain days of the week in San Diego Bay and so that was cool to see.

 





The San Diego Fair was a must do this year, and usually every year. There’s nothing like fair food. If it’s dipped, battered, or fried it’s here and they are always coming up with something new. But I always get the Pizza from Papa Gino’s and more recently I can’t go without getting these hot and fresh little donuts. I can’t do rides anymore, so I basically go to eat, browse the shops, and check out the animals. More recently, they’ve added bars in different locations and alcohol is allowed all over except the fun zone. We were probably way too excited about that than we should have been! I haven’t been to other county fairs, but I think San Diego’s is pretty great and it’s an annual tradition since I’ve been going to this fair pretty much every year since I was a kid and I still love it.



The San Diego Zoo is the 2nd largest Zoo in the US and it usually makes the top 10-15 lists of zoos to visit in the US. It’s not something I want to do every year but when enough time has passed a day at the Zoo is really fun. It’s so interesting to see these animals up close and see so many that I never knew existed. We rode the tram for the first time. I’m a sucker for a good view. There is a lot of foliage down below, but you can see Balboa Park and some of the city skyline in the distance. So much walking! But there was so much to see so we saw as much as we could.

 


After the Zoo we went ax throwing at Throw It San Diego downtown. I was sure there was no way I’d be able to do it. It even seemed like it might be a little dangerous, but after a few throws I was actually able to hit the target. I felt so bad ass when it hit. Definitely something fun to try if you have never done it. We actually stopped at Altitude Sky Lounge downtown for a drink after that. Who does all that in one day? Yes, it was a lot but when my husband gets going he's unstoppable. We had guests and he just wanted to go, go, go. I was exhausted trying to keep up with him, but it was fun.


We had another visitor in town about a week later AFTER our second trip to Las Vegas in June. Since neither of us had done it yet, we decided a ferry ride to Coronado Island would be a fun outing. Tickets are $8 each way and they run about every hour. We had a drink at one of the bars along the pier while we waited and then hopped on the ferry. The other way to get there is to drive over the Coronado bridge. Coronado Island is this quaint little beach town. The kind you would see in a Lifetime movie or envision in a Romance novel. It Took us about 30 minutes to walk the 1.5 miles over to Bluewater Boathouse Seafood Grill which is right by the water. And then from there, we were steps from the historic Hotel Del Coronado and the beautiful beach. I really love this beach. You can reserve fire pits here. There are numerous beach bars and restaurants. One of my dreams in life right now is to spend a night or two at Hotel Del Coronado and spend the days hanging here and enjoying it. Only problem is that it is super expensive! So...haven't gotten around to that yet. Crazy enough this was my first time going there at all. This hotel is super old. It's been around since 1888; but they had a refurbishment pretty recently and it's part of the Hilton Hotel group now. After lunch, we sat on the beach for a while and then had a drink at the restaurant right across from the beach. This was basically a perfect day meandering through Coronado.


We also went to the Pride Parade in Hillcrest that weekend. I haven't been to any kind of parade in a really long time. It was our first time ever going and that was a lot of fun too. We met some friends there and we were there for the entire day. We didn't travel anywhere else besides Vegas but we did a lot and it was a great Summer.

1 comment

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.