Moving Marathon

Oh boy did we ever cut it close on this move.  We were told that it's basically a two day turn around from doc signing, bank funding, and county recording that would signify close and allow us to get our keys.  We planned to move Friday and so Wednesday was to be the big day.  We waited and exchanged e mails all day with the loan processor hoping to hear from the title department that we could go and sign our closing documents only to get home and find out from Jenn at the sales office that there was no way in hell that was going to happen because they didn't even have them.  Thanks BofA for leading us on and causing us to hang onto our cell phones all day hoping and waiting for a call that was never going to come. 

Then we were told that as long as we sign docs and the bank funds they would still allow us to get our keys on Friday even if we did not officially close yet.  Thursday came and there was more waiting and several phone calls back and forth with Jenn.  FINALLY, we get the call that we can go to the title company and sign at 3pm.  We are relieved but still anxious because the bank still needed to fund and it was clear that wasn't going to happen Thursday.  We woke up at 6 am Friday morning to call and wire our closing money to escrow and then walked to U Haul to pick up our moving truck around 10:15am and started moving.  Thankfully, they allowed us to move in since they had our money even though the bank didn't actually fund us until after we moved all of our things in.

The marathon began Thursday night when we started boxing things up.  I was so unmotivated.  The very concept of having to pack up every single thing you own and transport it to another location is so ridiculous exhausting.  I looked around at my cramped studio with all of it's stuff and it felt so impossible to accomplish such a feat.  I was glad to be moving out of there but  I hated every single second of packing. 

The words on our truck said "U Can Do It" but there were moments when it sure didn't feel like it.  Up and down the stairs.  Back and forth to the moving truck.  We did not stop until the truck was full and the condo was basically empty.  It took the two of us about 3 hours.  We drove the mile to our new house and started the whole process again but in reverse.  As we drove into our neighborhood in our big U haul I looked around in awe and sheer relief.  This is finally happening.  After all of the months of being put through the ringer and those final anxious days we finally get to live here.  And, we weren't the only ones having fun.  There were about 4 different moving trucks crammed on the street as our new neighbors were doing the same.

The unloading process was infinitely quicker then the loading process and thank goodness because we had only 1 1/2 hours to get it done and get the truck back by 3pm.  We drove it a whopping 3 miles and didn't even have to re fuel which saved a lot of money.  Once the truck was turned in we walked back to our condo and drove our fully loaded cars to the new house and kept right on working.

The place was an utter disaster with everything dumped haphazardly in the great room but I was so glad to be there.  We were finally HOME!!  We didn't stop to eat until about 8:30pm that night.  We called Pizza Hut for delivery only to find out that our development is so new that it isn't even in the system yet.  I was so hungry that I didn't care that I had to go get it even though I was completely worn out.

We worked all weekend non stop-3 days straight.  Clean the condo, run errands, organize, sort, move furniture, throw things just went on and on and on.  We finally got the room cleared out so we could see the floor on Saturday night then Sunday all of Mj's things that have been in storage since 2008 arrived and we started all over again.  I was so incredibly sore.  My body ached from the soles of my feet right on up to my neck.  It was hard work BUT WE DID IT!!  I was once again struck by what a great team we make.  I believe that the way a couple handles stressful situations and hard work together is an indicator of the health of the relationship.  We know when to defer to the other on things and if he is adamant I pull back and vice versa.  We both just pitched in and worked hard.  We did what needed to be done and made decisions together effortlessly.

Monday at work was HELL!  I was exhausted, pre occupied and overall annoyed.   I couldn't focus and I was basically useless.  Today I was better rested and felt a bit more settled.  The refrigerator we picked out will be here Wednesday and we still need to order a Washer/Dryer once we can freakin' decide on a brand.  Our bedroom furniture is on back order and our sectional is still being made so I don't think we will have any of that until June.

There is still so much to do and BUY!!  But the hardest part is OVER and I'm lovin' our new house already.


Olivea said...

Congratulations! I have to move later this summer to a new apartment, and I am not at all looking forward to it.

Steph said...

Congrats on getting everything moved! Good luck unpacking and setting in.