He Hates Valentine's Day

Out to dinner
My lasagna was delicious. I had warm bread and sparking wine with it.

We were in the car on our way to dinner and I mentioned that the street corner flower/balloon booths were already setting up shop to cash in on Valentine's Day.  "I hate Valentine's Day."  Those were the exact words that came out of my husband's mouth.  I immediately slammed on the breaks and pulled over to the side of the road and told him we would not be going any further unless he took it back because I can't be married to someone who hates Valentine's Day and we 'aint gettin' a divorce.  We never made it to dinner.  Okay totally joking!!!  It is true that my husband hates Valentine's Day but I'm okay with that as long as he indulges my girly romantic side at least a little bit.  I don't expect nor do I want a big to do about Valentine's Day but a little somethin' somethin' is nice.  Tuesday is really not the best day to celebrate anything so we were headed out to dinner on Sunday at Il Postino's; this cute little Italian restaurant Mj had been wanting to try. 
 
Me and my cookie Bouquet

That morning at work I got a very special delivery of of giant monster sized iced sugar cookies and balloons.  Oh, how I love these cookies.  I like flowers but they die and I can't eat them.  I got him a nice 90 minute massage using good old Groupon which I know he can really use right now because he's been working out almost every day.
Not so fancy V Day Dinner:  Cabbage & Rice with Turkey Sausage

Valentine's day dinner was Cabbage and Rice with Turkey Sausage.   It's good and all but not exactly my idea of a "special" dinner.  It's something I know how to make and we already had the meat so I went with it.  I haven't been in the kitchen much so I think it was a nice treat that I cooked for him even if it was just something simple.  It was actually pretty tasty but not even close to what Mj made for dinner last year on Valentine's Day.  After dinner we chilled out on the couch and watched Teen Mom 2 and then I worked on our budget.  I know....way romantic.

It's a fake commercial holiday with no historical significance whatsoever made up so that people can make money.  There is no point of making one day to express love when you can do it all year long or on a day that actually has some real meaning like an anniversary.  Blah, Blah, blah.  I get it and even agree to some extent but I still have a soft spot for February 14th.  My husband hates Valentine's Day but he loves me!  So it works.

12 comments

  1. hehe, you are so funny! :)

    but i completely agree about V day. we hardly celebrate it because we have too many things that fall on that day but i think that we can say that any holiday is overcommercialized. look at the amount we spend during Christmas! i have never spent close to that amount of V Day.

    it is interesting that a day created to celebrate love so many hate. ironic.

    but glad that you were able to celebrate and that hubby went and did such a sweet thing regardless of his feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww cute! I don't like Valentine's Day either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has had to work night shifts on every single v-day so this year we went out the night before! I loved it! It was like our private night, and we didn't have to deal with the crowds : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is not that into it either...but it is totally a commercialized holiday...love the cookie bouquet...those are my fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I have always loved Valentines day, even before I had anyone to celebrate with. I just like wearing red and eating chocolate. The holiday is really just to indulge the ladies-i've heard guys say it's like a second birthday for us. :) Nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cookie bouquet looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cookie bouquets are far better than real flowers because there is no maintenance involved! Love them.

    And I'm sort of with MJ - I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day. I think it's a Hallmark holiday and I'm not interested in indulging Hallmark's bottom line. :)

    No wonder my husband is fed up with me??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the holiday is silly for people who ONLY show their love towards each other on V-day, but for couples like us- it's nice to partake and enjoy the true meaning <3 Tell your hubby about the St. Valentine that wed soldiers in secret when they were forbidden...maybe that will pique his interest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really like Valentine's Day, but I understand it's gotten pretty commercialized - to be fair, that's like almost every holiday in the U.S.!

    Like Janna said, a holiday with a lot of historical significance - today's holiday combines elements of ancient Roman and Christian tradition. So Hallmark didn't just wake up one day and say, gee, let's make up a holiday to symbolize love!

    I insist that Valentine's Day be acknowledged and celebrated - but it doesn't have to be anything big. My fiance gave me the best Valentine's day present this year - he made a paper heart out of 9 layers of construction paper hearts, to symbolize the 9 years we have been together. Cost: $0 plus 30 minutes of his lunch break. Meaningful AND financially prudent. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off - I ate HALF a freaking breadstick the other night. I THOUGHT OF YOU! haha. Your day looks so sweet-- what a special guy!! You are a doll!

      Delete
  10. Favorite part...'I like flowers but they die and I can't eat them.'...so true...my sentiments exactly :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.