I Had a Book Launch Party


If my husband had asked me if I wanted a book launch party I would have looked at him like he was crazy. I don't like a lot of fuss. I definitely wanted a wedding, but one of the things I most worried about was being the center of attention. I'll admit, I loved every second when it happened, but I'm just not entirely comfortable it. I have a tendency to downplay myself in general. A party is the exact opposite of that, so I definitely would have said no.

I've also been very quiet about writing a book, so it's a pretty logical conclusion that I would not want to throw a party about it. My husband knows this. He did not ask, so when I walked into my own book launch party I had no idea was happening I was stunned.

Surprise!!




I've seen the video now, and the minute I walked in the door my face went blank with a combination of confusion and disbelief. I stood staring, while everyone cheered, until MJ nudged me forward, because I was too shocked to move. I started with the people nearest to me, giving hugs and hellos. I probably made it about half way around the room before the tears started. It was only a matter of time. I was in shock at first, but once I started to see all of the effort and care that went into planning this thing for little old me, the waterworks started, and I was overcome with emotion. My friends were there. My parents were there. My aunt was there. All of these people were there, with the sole purpose of celebrating my accomplishment.




We had a large table reserved for our party. Surrounded by an elegant tablescape was a beautifully framed cover of my book, a precious memento for me to keep. A congratulations sign coordinated to match the cover of my book, hung from the wall. Appetizers and wine were flowing. There was a fresh batch of tears when I was introduced to the party decorators and cake maker, by one of MJ's former co-workers, who played a big role in helping MJ plan everything. I couldn't believe my husband enlisted the help of decorators, and spent time and money putting together such a beautiful party. I had to pause for tissues and pulling myself together.

And then I saw my cake setting off a fresh round of tears. Oh my goodness, it was so beautiful! And the adorable little dinner mint party favors, right next to it, both an exact replica of my book cover.

How did my husband pull off this fabulous party without me having a clue? For starters, he blocked the date out back in August. People lead busy lives, that's just what you have to do. He also made it a kid friendly event and set up a fake outing for us. On October 3rd, he got my friend to ask me if we wanted to do a double date at Urbn on November 10th when her mom in law would be in town to babysit the kiddo. Of course I did! Then randomly, about a week later I get a text from my mom saying that they plan to be in town for a VFW veteran's day celebration for...you guessed it November 10th. I said perfect! We have plans for that night too, and you get to come and see our new house. Our picnic last month got squashed because my husband had a "work emergency" that had nothing to do with work and everything to do with him picking up 2 large boxes of wine. I was MAD too. We'd already walked to Subway for the sandwiches and were half way to Mission Bay when he got the text. I had to go by myself while he hung out at Tiff's house for an appropriate time in which to handle said fake work emergency.

There were only a few things leading up to the party that made me go hmmm.
  • When I found out that Tiff's mom in law was in town, a few weeks prior I thought, well that's a long visit because she was supposed to be the babysitter for our "double date." Then about a week before, I found out that mom in law had actually come and gone. Oh, I definitely questioned her husband when he was over at our house seven days before our date. I thought your mother in law was babysitting? Well, who's babysitting then? They know I know that they don't have a go-to sitter. He mumbled something about working on it. I asked if we were still on the day before, because her husband didn't seem so sure about having a baby sitter. I also thought it odd that no one ever said what time we were even meeting up.
  • My dad leaves for the "VFW" event about an hour before we left, and he's got my book. Why? He's a proud dad, so I didn't question it too much, but I definitely noticed. 
  • MJ pops his head in while I'm getting ready and says, you better wear something sexy. What? Is this not acceptable? Not with those pants was his reply. He suggested a skirt, and made up a story about, us maybe going somewhere else for drinks afterwards. I kept the top, but switched the blue jeans out. We have opinions about each others outfits, so that's not too highly unusual, but I don't remember him ever suggesting a skirt.
  • Oh, and the obsession with my "special" pen. We moved twice in 6 weeks...how do you expect me to find a certain pen right now? He kept asking me where it was, until I finally went and found it and set it on my nightstand.
  • He asks where my backpack is so he can bring "tools" for Tiff's husband. What tools do you suddenly have to bring with us? Why didn't he get them when he was here?
  • My husband gave me an appraising look, and smiled at me just before we rushed out the door, and that's when I really started to feel like something was weird, but I would never have guessed what.  
  • He insisted on bringing the backpack in right away, rather than get it later. Okay, and why do you need to carry a backpack into a bar? Why not leave it in the car? He can get it later. I though you said we might go out afterwards? Then we have to bring a backpack to the next place? Okay fine. Tiff and I will take the tools to his car once we get seated, but then, we'll have to take the back pack back to our car. It was a whole thing, and I was definitely giving him a hard time about it less than 60 seconds before we walked in. The only thing in the backpack was our DSLR camera.

Once the shock wore off, I finally managed to grab myself some wine, and eat some pizza, and I was on cloud nine, having a fantastic time. Right before we cut the cake, which was so freaking delicious by the way, MJ did that thing where you bang on the glass with a spoon to get everyone's attention. Well, the darn glass actually broke. So that was funny! Then, we both said a few words to everyone. I'm not a speech type of person, but I was so glad to have the opportunity to thank everyone again for coming. When MJ handed me my special pen it all made sense. People brought their books for me to sign, which was so much fun. And it is indeed a special pen because he had my name engraved on it, and gave it to me last Christmas. Yeah, he's the best.

I loved seeing so many of his friends together, because it's so rare these days. I loved that everyone came together. I loved how some of my friends got to chat with my parents. I pretty much loved, everything about that night. It was so special, for so many reasons.

It's funny to me now, that I thought I was "announcing" my book release on Facebook. Sure, there were still some who didn't know, but a lot of them, were probably laughing on the inside because my husband had already told them about the book launch party months ago. No wonder my friends seemed so nonplussed when I finally told them about my book at dinner a few weeks before the launch date. They were super excited when MJ told them, but that was months ago and they are not good actors. Nobody wants to say too much when they're worried about spoiling a surprise.

I didn't think I could be any more surprised by my husband than when he showed up for dinner in Las Vegas while I thought he was in Germany. I don't know how I got so damn lucky, but he really really outdid himself this time. We've been so busy with moving and everything else, yet he also prioritized doing this for me. He did such a good job, and I feel so fortunate to be loved by him. I am so thankful for him, everyone who came together to organize it, and everyone who came for making the night so special.

I'm an author. I have book launch parties, and sign books so I'm including my book links again below. So much horn tooting going on! Who am I? This entire experience has been a dream come true. Literally.

6 comments

  1. MJ really knocked it out of the park! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ did amazing and surprised you so good! Your expression was priceless! Loving all the details too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just the sweetest thing. How nice to be loved by someone so well. I’m going to add your book to my Amazon cart! Well done and you have much to be proud of. Nice seeing hard work pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that was so sweet and your husband did a great job. Congratulations again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing! Everything about this! Such a sweet thing to do and such an accomplishment getting your book published!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! This is seriously so sweet. Ill grab a copy if its on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.