Queen for a Date


About once or twice a year we end up renting a hotel room and having a mini getaway downtown. In year's past we've done it for a holiday party, a dinner cruise, Halloween, or a celebration with friends. We don't live that far. We can and do use Uber, but sometimes it's fun to have the option of walking "home" and getting to live that downtown lifestyle for a night when we're planning to be out really late. Downtown San Diego is such a fun place to be, so why not? We always have a great time.




The weekend before Halloween we checked into the Hard Rock Hotel at 4:00pm. We walked to dinner and enjoyed some yummy food at Little Italy Food Hall. We sat outside casually savoring our wine for me beer for him. The added bonus I didn't expect is that they do trick or treating down there, so we had fun seeing all the little kids dressed up. It was funny to think that on that very same Friday just a year ago, we were moving, and it was just as hot if not hotter.

To save time we took Birds home. The last time I tried one of those electric scooters it did not go well, but I was determined to do it. MJ gave me a crash course and then we scootered our way back to the Hard Rock through the streets of downtown. Literally, the streets! The worst part was being sandwiched between a city bus on the right and cars stopped at a light on the left, but I survived. Fifteen minutes later we were back at our hotel. We did a quick clothing change and ubered over to the venue. Again, just to save time. And energy. We wanted to be there when the doors opened. By this time, it was still perfectly warm and in the 70's just before 8pm.


Bohemian Rhapsody is a timeless classic. I've always loved that song. I think most people do, and if you don't...well I don't know if we can be friends. It's such unique, fun song, and I remember it being popular even as far back as when I was in high school. I also love, We Are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. Those are both timeless crowd favorites, that most people have heard before. After watching Bohemian Rhapsody the movie, I realized how many more songs of theirs that I really, really loved. Throughout the movie I said I love this song...I love this song, repeatedly. It was so interesting to find out the origins of this group and their amazing music. I'd already heard and liked a lot of the songs, but I didn't realize I liked that many Queen songs until watching the movie. Queen Nation did a concert in the park near our house over the summer. We went, but we were so far away from the stage that we couldn't really see them that well or really experience the concert like we would have wanted to. While we were on vacation in Mexico one of the bands did a few songs one night. I loved it, but the crowd was dead and I wanted more. Right then, I decided that's it. I really need to experience a Queen concert. When we got home I went online to search, and found exactly what I was looking for. Queen Nation would be performing at Music Box in Little Italy, the following month. I bought the tickets without hesitation. They were only $20 bucks each. I booked the hotel, and our date night extravaganza was on.



The night started with an 80's band to open, which was really fun. Then we were treated to a fantastic two hour performance by Queen Nation. They sound like Queen. They look like Queen. They are so good! The lady behind us stood up on the seats that lined the wall for a better view. I followed suit, except I took my shoes off first because manners. The show was a good time from start to finish. The place was packed and the crowd was pumped, and that's exactly what Queen was known for. We were dancing and singing all night. Their dynamic and energizing brings people together. You can't help but get into it. I was having the time of my life, and I think everyone else was too. The lead singer had all the Freddie Mercury moves down. I love the idea that these guys get live out their rock star fantasies, and are really really good at doing it. They were probably already doing what they loved to do, and then Bohemian Rhapsody, came along and probably increased their bookings. They put on such a good show, and in my humble opinion really do the original Queen justice. We didn't get out of there until about 1:00 am. I normally have a hard time staying up that late, but I was having so much fun I didn't feel tired at all. I went into it expecting to have a great time, and I was not disappointed in the slightest.

I was really brave that night. I left my sweater at the hotel because I figured I could survive the 60's without one. Just this once, and I was fine on our quick 1.3 mile walk back to the hotel. Did I mention that I also drank a lot of wine?


I woke up with a headache, but no regrets whatsoever, because the headache disappeared as the day went on, and I had so much fun. We walked to breakfast at Rustic Root where I drank a lot of coffee and ate a scrumptious egg scramble. The first thing I did when I got home was order a Queen band tee. Band Tees are cool right? I never liked a real rock band enough to ever think about getting one before. Normally, I have to contemplate, research and overthink every purchase to death, but not this time. I googled it. Nasty Gal had it. I ordered it. Anyone else ever heard of Nasty Gal? I hadn't. I'm not sure if they are my style, but Cara Delevingne looks just divine as their cover girl. Anyway, they had what I wanted at such a good price I didn't even mind paying the $8.99 shipping. I know, I know, that's a lot to ship a single shirt, but the shirt was 60% off. It came directly from the Royal Mail in England, and Queen is British so you know. It's authentic. I love the shirt, so it's all good. I'm a Queen fan y'all I have to represent!

So that's my story about how I became a band Tee owning Queen fan.

1 comment

  1. I was LOVING your stories! I am also a HUGE fan of Queen so I was living vicariously through you! I am going to check to see if Queen Nation will be playing anywhere near me because I have to make a night of this as well! I could not believe how the lead singer had Freddie's moves down from your stories! I have a few band tees but no Queen one ... I have to fix that!

    I've shopped at Nasty Gal a couple of times. I think it's perfect for when you want to try a trend but not spend too much money on it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.