We Got A Roomba

I'm the cheap one in the family. Always have been always will be! So when my husband started making noises about getting a roomba, and saying that one day we would have one, I really wasn't trying to hear it. The usual objections applied. It's too much money. I can do it myself. We already have a vacuum. Although, I will admit our vacuum is probably on it's last legs. It's been making this really high pitched screeching sound, and I fear it's only a matter of time before it makes no sound at all. But the point is, that I'm perfectly capable of vacuuming our house and I don't need a robot to do it.

 

He decided on the i Robot Roomba 6 plus with clean base. This particular model retails for about $699.00, but we got it on a black Friday deal so we saved about $200 bucks. When the box showed up, I really wasn't all that interested. It sat for about a week because my husband was out of town. I used our old school dying manual labor vacuum while it sat in the box. MJ was home for less than three hours before he started setting it up, and our robot had a name. Meet Charles. The first thing you have to do is let the roomba map your home. It needs to run twice all over the house bumping into walls and furniture so that it can learn where everything is. Once the house was mapped we were able to send our roomba out to clean. It was really quite interesting watching him work. Also a little bit creepy at first!! This little robot is pretty smart and works very methodically and with much determination to clean every inch of our home. It even knows not to fall down the stairs. I was really skeptical that it could do a good job. I was pretty sure I'd have to go in after it, but that has not been the case so far. I'm pretty impressed with how good of a job it actually does. We have it set on a schedule where it automatically starts working without us having to do a thing.

I think ours is so expensive because of the clean base, but I think it's worth it. If you are going to spend the money. Spend the money. The roomba automatically dumps dirt into a bag sitting inside of the clean base, and then from there we dump the bag. This means that the Roomba can work for longer without having to be dumped so it's not something we have to worry about too often. What I love most is that you don't even have to see the dirt. It goes into an enclosed baggie and stays there. The app is very user friendly and interactive. It lets us know if there is a problem while our Roomba is working, like if there is something stuck in the brush, or if it runs out of charge. The roomba also talks! So it will also tell you what the problem is when you go to pick it up. The app keeps a running log of all the jobs it completes in the house. This roomba also interacts with Alexa. It's pretty high tech. My husband did all of the set up for the first floor, but I helped with the second floor and have been learning more about how it works. It's really not too complicated. 

We've had it for about four months now, and what can I say. I'm sold! It's been such a time saver! I really appreciate not having to vacuum after I clean the house. It's one less thing I have to do. It's always the same. It's either your time or your money. I'd love to skip it all and hire someone else to clean our house, but since that's not happening right now this is the next best thing.

If you would like to see Charles in action and a complete review this is the YouTube link


No comments

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.