The School Experiment

I hate to say it but working full time and going to school is for the birds.  I can't even imagine if I was going full time or had kids or anything else.  I have so much respect for people who earn their degree as a full time working adult.  My husband is working on his B.A. right now and I'm really proud of him for persevering even though it's so hard.  Last semester I took 2 community college classes.  One fully online and the other partially online.  Some of those nights that I had to work from 8-5 then go to class from 6:30 to 9:50pm were pretty awful.   I started out good but by the last class I was so over it.  Online classes are no piece of cake either.  You really have to watch your deadlines and you don't have to go to class but you still put in a lot of time doing the assignments and discussion boards.  Trying to juggle work, the gym, house work, socializing and time to relax while fitting in class and homework is hard.  I was genuinely interested in my classes.  One of them was even to explore a possible new career option.  I found that I actually enjoyed the challenge of learning and being tested.  If I take a class I'm gunning for an A so it was frustrating to feel that I just didn't have the energy or time to put into it that I wanted to.  The day I took my last final I felt so free.  My time off from work became my own again and I really missed that.  I was worried that my mind had turned to mush after being out of school for so long but I got A's in both classes.  I'm taking two short term (hopefully easy!) 8 week courses this semester to get the 12 units I need to get my pay bump at work and then that's it.  I'm officially back in school as of today.  Not thrilled. 

Thank goodness I got my BA done when I was still a bright eyed fresh faced unemployed/part time working 21 year old because if I had waited who knows if it would have ever happened.  I'm glad I did this though.  This little school experiment affirms what I kind of already knew.  At this point in my life school is just not for me.  If money and time were no object maybe.  If I had my eye on a specific career goal that I was passionate about maybe.  If someone promised me a million bucks if I get my Masters degree...big maybe! But with my current life circumstances it's just not something I want to undertake and it's good to know that for sure now instead of having to wonder.

9 comments

  1. I know that feeling for experience. It is super hard to try to focus on work and school and everything else. I wish I would have gotten my degree when I was younger because I'm afraid I never will now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I'm so glad I got my Masters when I did. Sometimes I think about pursuing my PhD, but working full-time and taking care of home (even without kids) just makes my head hurt. I applaud all the working moms who also juggle school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at an online university where I could get 90% tuition on getting my masters if I wanted to, but to be honest, it really doesn't appeal to me at this point! Not only did I just watch my husband complete his masters and see how fun it was for him (ha) but I like my time off from work to be my own! It's hard enough juggling a job and free time as it is. Good for you for giving it a shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know exactly what you mean! i couldn't go back to school right now. i have so much respect for the people that go to work, school, have kids, etc ... Sean did it for a while and i thought it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is difficult having to juggle all those things and complete school work...can't even imagine but it sounds like you gave it a good college try--no pun intended! At least now you know for sure:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give you a ton of credit. I once dated a guy who worked full time & went to Law school at night. It was absolute HELL on him. I give anyone who can do this - esp. when it's a parent - a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. School was a pain even when that's all I was doing. I cannot imagine trying to juggle school and a full time job. I guess you find a way to make it all work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing that keeps me going is just to be able to tell our kids that I did it. How could I tell my child to go to college if I never did?

    Honestly, it's even worse when you are pregnant. I have two classes this semester. One is on Tuesday evenings and one is every Saturday in March. It's a struggle ever Tuesday evening. Ughh... I'll only have 4 classes after this semester though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few years ago I thought about going back for a Master's. I couldn't imagine it though being married and working full time. Now that I'm a mother... I can't even see it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for being part of my blog.